Wow. After playing the UFC Undisputed demo over the weekend, after countless rematches between Chuck Liddell and Shogun Rua, I'm dumbfounded. The game is even better than I expected.
With Chuck, my focus MUST be on the standup. Yes, I can take Shogun down and do some mediocre ground and pound, but if I stay down there too long and I inevitably get reversed into defensive guard (or worse). Does this reversal come about too easily? Not really, considering that I shouldn't be down there in the first place. That's not Chuck's game.
Shogun can strike or submit, and it's shown in-game. While submissions are tough against Chuck...well, aren't they always? As Shogun, I'm never too worried about Chuck's ground game unless he has me mounted. But not being worried about Chuck's offensive ground doesn't mean that my defensive ground will result in automatic submissions. That doesn't work in real life, and it doesn't work here. Submissions are very hard to get.
After playing consistently, I'm able to win fairly regularly on the 2nd highest skill level (Advanced). Yet I'll still get blasted to Mars by a Chuck high kick that I don't block, or a slick Shogun transition to mount that ends up in my TKO loss via GnP. The game is exhausting to play, requiring a vigilant attitude towards avoiding takedowns, passing guard, escaping, clinching, and remembering to keep your hands up. And gameplans are a must. Go out and button mash and you're not going to last long.
I can't wait for May 19 :)
Comments?
------------------------------------------------------------------